My sister's love story

Today August 13  is my sister Karen and her husband Bruce's 54th wedding anniversary. I remember the day of their wedding so clearly. They were married in the Oakland California Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints after a very short engagement. They were so very much in love. My parents and I flew out to Oakland from Illinois for the festivities. We waited outside as that is the custom; only members of the LDS Church can enter the temple. I was sixteen at the time and thought all of this was wildly romantic and loved my sister as I supported her wholeheartedly in anything that she did. Bruce was a kind gentle man and the perfect companion for my dear sister. As an aside,  I was married in the LDS temple myself after joining the church when I was 24. 

Bruce and Karen went on with their love story and raised a wonderful family of ten children: 2 girls and 8 boys. Most of their married life was spent in Utah and California but in the last couple of years they went off on an adventure and lived in  Guatemala and Mexico. In 2017 they decided to return to Utah where unfortunately a few months later in April of 2018 Bruce went into the hospital with a damaged aorta and left this world and the embrace of his faithful wife of many years in August. She of course was devastated but with the faith and knowledge of being together for eternity, she was comforted with knowing she would see him again. But still, of course, she wept and missed him terribly. She decided to move to Mexico where they had been so happy and lived there for over 4 years, visiting family back in the States occasionally and many of them visited her. This was a time of healing and grief and joy for her as she learned to create a life of her own without Bruce, the love of her life. She shared with me a story that Bruce had wanted to write her a love poem but never got around to it. So, I decided to write a poem myself and give it to her. She and Bruce were infatuated with each other from the moment they met until he closed his eyes and left to return to the God who made Him. Happy Anniversary Bruce and Karen! Your love and your life have always been an inspiration to me! I love you both!! 

                                                Karen and Bruce Forever (a poem)


He wanted to write a poem of love for her but couldn’t quite get the words to rhyme,

So he penned a letter expressing his feelings - one that would last for all of time.

Little did he knew as he wrote her those words embedded so deeply within his heart

She would find it four years later tucked in a drawer after they had been torn apart. 


It was for her birthday in June two years before he died he wrote to his beloved wife,

Stating his desires to protect her, care for and love her for she was the joy of his life.

In Mexico they traveled together, exploring and living life happily following their dream

Away from the cares of the world, work and problems, just two now on their team.


Ten children they had lovingly raised, working hard and moving from place to place.

But now they had the freedom to choose where they lived and retired from that race.

Hand in hand they walked to each exotic place enjoying the sights and the sounds.

The pace of this land so different from home where chaos and stress did abound.


He ended the letter with his words of love that would indeed last forever,

Signing his name she has held in her heart for the 46 years they were together.

My sister sighs as she takes this “gem” from its place in her dresser drawer

Cherishing his love, and feeling his presence as she has so many times before. 


His last words to Karen his wife and their children as they watched his life subside

Were “You must create a life you can enjoy for it has been a beautiful ride.” 

So She has done just that and returned to where they were happy those last two years.

And as she sits and remembers and cries Bruce speaks:” I’m waiting for you, dry your tears.” 


Together again is truly in her future, standing next to her valiant, loved one so true

Separated now only by time and space with heaven hiding him from her view.

But within her heart, where many  memories reside of the two of them together

She knows indeed as Bruce so lovingly penned,  “We are on our way to forever.” 

(There’s your poem Bruce…love, Jeri)  




                           



                               Dancing at their son's wedding many years later..still as much in love as ever!


1 comment:

  1. Jeri, I love this! I think you are spot on with this line: "Bruce speaks: 'I’m waiting for you, dry your tears.'” I can almost hear him saying it. I love the part where you talk about going to California for our wedding and you thinking it was all so wildly romantic. I did not realize you felt that way, that your young self saw it as such a love story. But then I was so wrapped up in my own romantic dreams of Bruce and our future, I was oblivious to anything else. Thank you for writing this. Such a gift to lift my spirits on what is a rather sad day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always enjoy reading your comments.