Slowing Down

Well, the stomach flu has forced me to slow down! It hit me yesterday while I was shopping with my daughter and 3 year old very active and verbal grandson...so as you can imagine, it wasn't real leisurely shopping....here Max, get in the clothes and hide....just a few more minutes Max..don't run with your sucker...why does he have a sucker in here with all this stuff anyway? One more chicken nugget Max before you drink any more juice...you get the picture.

I did or my daughter did find some really good buys for me...great wool jacket for $50 and 100% Merino wool sweater for $20, so much for Christmas shopping..it was all for me...meanwhile my stomach is bumbling and grumbling and I'm pretty sure I better get home asap. Arrived home at 3 and didin't move again until this morning and I only moved to go to the bathroom...but I think this will be short lived....feeling ready for breakfast and that is a good sign.

So, today I slow down....I won't do much...I'll read, I'll write, I'll  contemplate the beauty of this season as I listen to my Christmas music on my laptop and what I want to celebrate about it. I don't want to have loooong to do lists...I want to be able to celebrate family, the great love our Father in Heaven had for us, sending us His son to heal us, walk with us, live for us and die for us.

My darling daughter in law who lives two hours away called me last night and would love to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning at their house instead of stressing over staying at two sets of grandparents' homes and dragging all the presents over here.  They have a lovely little home, three darling children,  and I don't blame her one bit....as I think about it..how nice for us, to just have a quiet, spiritual Christmas morning, thinking of the many gifts I have that aren't necessarily under a tree.  The afternoon will see all the presents being opened and food eaten...Christmas day goes way too fast anyway...I'm all for dragging it out.  I'll never forget my little daughter so many years ago looking up at me in the bathroom and saying: "Christmas is ovah"! It goes so fast....I want to slow down and enjoy the music, the excited looks on my grandchildrens' faces as they decorate the tree, wrapping presents, and the lights, ahhh the lights everywhere....so, if it took the stomach flu to slow me down and have me think about these things and even FINALLY write another post on my blog, so be it. How do YOU slow down and enjoy the Christmas season?  I'd love to hear your comments.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, mom I loved this.

    I'm not sure how I slow down for Christmas. I guess starting to celebrate it at Halloween, but that's probably not the best. I can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are one of my greatest gifts Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, I think it's great to start celebrating at Halloween..I have a friend who starts decorating for Christmas as soon as the pumpkins get put up..little early for me, but to each his own.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always enjoy reading your comments.