We had a lovely Christmas weekend. We ate some definite German meals at a couple of the branch members' homes and then went Christmas caroling. A good time was had by all and we were able to spend time with some lovely people and experience a little more of German culture. The people are so very sweet to us and there a re a few who speak English, but not very many!



It being the elders' Preparation Day the day after Christmas (senior couples can prepare any day they want to) we took them to the Baltic Sea Coast, about 15 minutes by car. It was windy and rainy on the way (gray skies and rain most all of the time here in the winter) but we did get a couple of hours of sun while we were walking around which was nice. The area was pretty full of people...all the tourist shops were closed because Germans celebrate the day after Christmas as a holiday as well. It  was good for me, so we just enjoyed the scenery and being out in the fresh air. The town was quite charming with cobblestone streets and homes and shops 4-500 years old; it truly feels like a step back in time although with all modern conveniences....well, pretty much..hard to find a public restroom and when you do, it usually costs 50 cents to use it!



Tuesday  Gentz and I decided to be big brave dogs and get on the train near our apartment to find a large department store; we know where it is, but have never gone by train. I am looking for a crock pot and a rice cooker..they are not very plentiful here in this area. Neither are large items of food; I do not know how the German saints do their food storage..you can buy flour one pound at a time and same with sugar. Needless to say, we go to the store quite often..good thing there are a couple within walking distance. 

Well we eventually made it on the train and realised we paid four dollars to go like a half a mile..we won't do that again and we walked back but at least we had the experience and know how to use it. Gentz has no problem asking questions when he doesn't understand something. His biggest problem over here is driving on these narrow narrow streets and trying to find parking on our street. There is very rarely a spot and when there is one it is way tiny. The mission office will pay for private parking so that is what we will do...there is a parking garage about ten minutes away. Still no crockpot or rice cooker so I will have to rely on Amazon I suppose:))

We are doing well and adjusting. I'm learning to rely on the Lord and my sweet husband more than I ever have in my life and that is a good thing. I am working on learning German, so hopefully in a few months I can at least ask a few questions. I am speaking in sacrament meeting this week, but Gentz will interpret for me. Usually during church, one of the elders interprets for me with headphones. There is another member, Vladimir from the Ukraine who comes with his two little girls and he doesn't speak German very well. Very few speak English; they say because this is East Germany..in the west more people speak English. Not what I thought, so I'll just have to stretch and grow which is good for the soul AND the brain cells:))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always enjoy reading your comments.