My Birthday Week in Germany!

Had a great day with hearing from our kids via texts and all of the wonderful facebook messages (gotta love facebook for that, right?) The day ended with a visit which turned out to be a birthday dinner to a couple of families way out in the sticks...darling houses inside..no idea what they looked like on the outside as it was pitch black. Here in Germany you take your shoes off when you go into the house and she had some handmade slippers for us to put on. This was like 7 pm and we had already eaten dinner but out came this huge gnocchi casserole....she is apparently an awesome cook. I had to explain myself of course..well, dad did for me since they spoke no English. Then out came the cake, but I told her the sparkling water she provided (they all drink that over here) was my treat. I guess she didn't understand the flour sugar bit as she sent us home with all the casserole and the cake and a gift bag full of chocolates and jam. Oh, and she also gave me some handknit socks. So sweet! I figure surely that will be my toughest one yet, but they are all so hospitable they want to feed you every time you come visit. Not like that thankfully. I suppose they will get used to me and my "strange" eating habits 😉 But we had a great evening laughing and talking, so it was all good.And I took the food to the missionaries on the way home 😬
We had a lovely walk together over near the Rostock Wall. Centuries ago the city was surrounded by a brick wall for protection. Most of it is down now, but still enough to get an idea and they added a lovely park and walking path right along the wall. On one side of the wall you can see old towers and buildings, and on the other side, tall apartment and new office buildings. We bought a picture today of the tower and the man was telling us that the very street that we were on at the time was totally flattened during the war. It is now a lovely brick street with shops and offices on either side leading up to the town square. I am continually amazed by the stamina and rebuilding that went on in postwar Germany. Gentz and I both got our hair cut this morning and the owner of the salon who is 47 years old was telling us as so many do that things were better before the reunification of East and West Germany and taking down of the Wall back in the eighties. During that time, everyone had jobs because if you didn't work, you went to jail. True, you couldn't travel to the west or anywhere else, but they didn't know any different. So, once communism was gone, people lost jobs, many were depressed and alcoholism took a strong hold. It was a very difficult time for the East Germans; some people from West Germany even came back and demanded that their land be given back to them or their house if someone else were living on it. None of us knew any of this..we just thought it was wonderful that they were now a free people! And I suppose it IS wonderful now, but at the time, it wasn't so great.




Our neighbors, Sven and Manya...he's an elementary teacher and she is an architect, had a baby girl last week and named her Gretta. I can hear her crying through the walls..sweet sound! So many noises I 'm not used to...people walking around in the apartment above us,.traffic outside, children laughing, people walking everywhere, but not minding it..it is all rather invigorating!

We went out to eat at a charming restaurant with a couple, Bodo and Sigrid,  from our English speaking class this week.  Gentz says that the Germans understand gemütlichkeit (try pronouncing that!!) It is cozy enjoyment usually with friends and family. The restaurants are the most charming I've every seen!! The owner always walks about and checks on your meal and how you are doing and even offered us a small glass of vodka at the end of the meal! How's THAT for hospitality:)) (we didn't take it:))

It seems there are little tables everywhere, to sit out or inside and enjoy the bakery that you find in every grocery store and on every street corner. Just within 5 minutes of us there are ten bakeries!!




We do a lot of visiting and stair climbing, since many people live in apartment buildings with no elevators. Here is a picture of Government Housing where Rostock is allowing the refugees to live. It looks very similar to all of the apartment buildings here just not as many stories. It  is in a lovely area surrounded by trees; the only detracting thing is a chain link fence all around it, but I think that is for the protection of those living inside rather than keeping people from going out, as they are free to go wherever they need to go. 
I am very impressed the way the Germans have welcomed these poor unfortunate people into their land. One of our church members who we visit here is from Ghana and calls Germany the "Promised land". He fled Ghana because of the intense poverty there but is having a hard time getting approval to stay here since he was in no danger and there is no political unrest there. He has much faith and patience and keeps saying: "God will provide". We pray for him and hope that all will work out for him as he wants and in his best interests.

We are learning much. I feel like my world is expanding; I just wish my language were!! In my small American mind I'm afraid I just don't understand why everyone doesn't speak English!!:) I didn't even know how to ask for the bathroom at the beauty parlor this morning! 
Thank goodness Gentz was there!! But I am using DuoLingo and another church member is helping me with German, so we will see if this 66 year old brain can absorb anything in the time I am here. But the people are patient with me and I appreciate that! 

Tchüss!! (one of my favorite words....sweet, short goodbye.) Pronounced Chews, but soft s not like a z.

Until next time!! Thanks for stopping in!!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to write! Nice to hear some of what you are doing and how you are doing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us! The language of love is universal & a smile goes a long way! �� I'm sure you will pick up some of the language soon �� Looking forward to reading more about your time there! -Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always enjoy reading your comments.