October 7, 2020

A Child’s Prayer

(I wrote this in 2005 when my sisters and I were having a “fifties Retreat” at 

Julie’s house in Minnesota.)


Four golden haired girls were preparing to pray

To thank God for His help throughout the day.

Bowing their heads and bending their knees

They expressed their gratitude and blessed others please.


The oldest was Julie so full of much fun

She skipped from sunrise to sunset and still wasn’t done!

Her voice and laughter she loved to display:

“Bless me Father to stop and listen along the way.”


Karen came next and set a more serious tone

As she watched and observed all who lived in this home.

It seemed she was remembering a not too distance place.

“Bless me Father, to know I will again see your face.”


Then Jeri was born..they thought she would be a boy,

But instead a little girl who brought them much joy.

She had a good time and always wanted to play,

“Bless me Father to get more work into my day.”


Last came sweet Becky who was such a delight;

Her sisters loved and cherished her with all their might.

No one else had better try to hurt her at all.

“Bless me dear Father to get up when I fall.”


Now that they’re grown do they still kneel to pray

With childlike faith for God to bless each one’s day?

Where are the prayers now of these four little girls?

Sisters and mothers, their heart felt prayers are like pearls.


Like when they were children they ask for blessings from above

With knowledge their Father will bless those they love.

He promises to  guide them through their difficult days,

And they thank Him for the peace that comes when they pray.


A child’s sincere prayer will never go unheard.

Even when she is too small to utter a word.

Within God’s heart all her prayers will safely stay

Until she meets Him again in that Joyful Day. 



 


(Our little sister Becki died of cancer at the age of 59 in March 2014...I was holding her hand just like this when she passed through the veil to the other side....a very sacred moment)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always enjoy reading your comments.