This is about my dad's cousin, Jerrie Flesland Kyle who contracted polio at the age of ten and for the rest of her life walked with braces and often a wheelchair. She was bigger than life with a "can do" personality and a warm smile and kind word for all that she met. We would see her occasionally when our paths crossed at the Farm in Aitkin, Minnesota where we visited her parents, Blanche and Olaf Flesland...the farm my parents bought and later retired to. 




 

                       1929-1985


You crossed the window of my mind 

     yesterday and as soon 

   as I got home I took down  your

     forgotten  poetry

        book on my shelf.


Opening its pages I remembered

    you….your courage with polio

    your indomitable spirit

      and that huge smile.


I was transported back as a 

     child visiting Minnesota

 who looked at you as 

        a thing of wonder.


How could you be so happy, 

      While unable to walk unaided?

  I felt nothing but strength

   and warmth coming from you.


I, so able to run and skip and 

   jump was always grumbling

      about this problem or that.


But, you with legs that wouldn’t

    work carried yourself with 

           dignity and grace.


Thank you for the lessons…

   for the poetry on my shelf,

    for the painting on my wall

  and mostly for teaching me

  that no matter what might 

   hinder us, 


we can walk…

    and we can smile 

              and

      we can achieve our dreams. 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always enjoy reading your comments.