Sorry, Mom



I sat in the hospital room watching as my 93 year old mother was guided through physical therapy on her hospital bed....her head drooped forward, they had to hold her up..."Reach your arm up and touch this glass"..."comb your hair"...."kick your right foot forward"...and the worst one..."Look in the mirror." What was mother's response to the mirror request..."I don't look very good"...and she didn't. This mother of mine who always looked good..took pride in her appearance....was very proud of how old she was and what great shape she was in was now reduced to sitting on the side of a bed and trying to perfrom menial tasks that she used to do without thinking.... as we all do take for granted.

It's hard seeing her like this...what must it be like for her? Her mind is sharp, but she can't make things work anymore...she is at the mercy of her nurses or her daughters for everything she wants...this morning when I came in, she said: "Where have you been? I needed you....my mouth is dry."

Life's a Bitch! When I told my mom today I was starting this blog and it was titled "Making Scents of Life" she said: "That's a tall order" How well you know Mom.

Her wish was to get back to her apartment. Thanks to darling Becki and her two sweet grandchildren Brekke and Peter, that wish was granted Christmas Day, 2010. She died a week later.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog setting. I may visit just to gaze at the picture. Welcome to the world of blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear....that's Ely Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always enjoy reading your comments.